A research study
The Smart Home Market in the UK – Summer 2017
The smart home market in the UK and the demand for smart home products – summer 2017
The survey has revealed the following core themes:
- The awareness of the smart home is high.
- The demand for smart home products is growing.
- The use of smart home products is increasing rapidly.
- Demographics matter, different age groups and genders have divergent opinions.
- Trusted brands will be central to the Smart Home market’s development.
- 85% of people have heard of a smart home – compared to 57% in 2015.
- 97% of people think a smart home is where you can control things like energy, lights, alarms easily or can be controlled by a mobile phone over the internet.
- Almost 1/4 of people have some smart capabilities in their home.
- 27% of people own at least one smart product .
- 75% think the majority of homes will be smart by 2040 – compared to 33% in 2015.
- 1/3 of people would like a smart hub in their home that connects all their smart devices together so you can control them all via a single app.
The key smart home drivers
- Smart energy with intelligent thermostats, controls and metering, covering space and water, heating and lighting.
- Smart security with door locks, CCTV, IP cameras and alarms.
- Smart entertainment ranging from home cinema to high speed streaming video and audio, and internet/mobile connectivity throughout the home.
Leading brands in the Smart Home
About the report
A survey of 2000 UK adults was carried out by OnePoll, a member of ESOMAR, May 2017.